Loading Events

« All Events

• Watch the Replay!

04-14-2021: 5 Ways to Start Using Automation in Your Freelance Business with AJ Morris

April 14, 2021 @ 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm CDT

Watch the replay as Digital Marketing Kitchen Chef Cory Miller interviews AJ Morris, a seasoned WordPress site builder with a passion for helping small businesses with their digital marketing and eCommerce efforts.

Wearing multiple hats, constantly spinning plates, running your business alone, can be a daunting task. What if I told you it doesn’t have to be that way. What if you could get back some of your time spent on some of the mundane tasks in running your business?

In this webinar, we’re looking at automating 5 tasks most freelancers need to do to manage their business to optimize your time without hiring a professional.

Everyone is welcome to watch this recording.

About AJ Morris

AJ Morris

AJ is a seasoned WordPress site builder with a passion for helping small businesses with their digital marketing and eCommerce efforts.

He focuses on implementing digital marketing technology and membership or course site-building. His goal is to get you making money.

You can follow AJ on Twitter or in Facebook, or find him on his website: ajmorris.me

Machine Generated Transcript

Cory Miller: Everybody welcome back to Digital Marketing Kitchen, Rebecca Gill, the one and only my name is Cory Miller. We have our dear friend, AJ Morris is going to talk about marketing automation today. Two out of the three of us are in Michigan. One is in Oklahoma thinking, man. Michigan’s awesome. I want to be back in Michigan.

[00:00:19]I got to see these amazing people in person last week. I’ve got my shots by vaccinated nation and everything got in a plane and AJ and I got to surprise Rebecca for her grand opening of her package. But that’s an aside party’s over now. It’s time to get to work,  AJ thanks for being on today.

[00:00:39]I always learned something from AJ he is always into the next. Tool tip whatever. And he’s always like, did you see this new thing came out? And I’m like, yeah, what would you use it for? And he goes, well, here it is. And so we’ve been talking about this for months because we’ve been friends with AJ for a long time knowAJhow good he is.

[00:00:57] And this is the center of his, one of his many expertise is helping us automatic, save time, energy, hassle, automating all the things. So Rebecca, do you have anything else to comment and lift up ADJ sound awesome.

[00:01:13] Rebecca Gill: Well, I’m here, like to just learn. So, you know, I wasn’t technically invited to this webinar, so I just kind of invited myself and came and crashed so I could learn from him.

[00:01:26] AJ Morris: That’s great.

[00:01:28] Rebecca Gill: Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

[00:01:30] Cory Miller: Exactly. All right. So we have party crasher on everybody as we go. Hey, just getting ready to show a screen. I think. And starting presenting. If you have questions for AJS, we’ll go hit the Q&A button. You know, the routine. Also in chat you can say hi and tell us where you’re from and AJ Holly turned it over to you. My friend.

[00:01:46] AJ Morris: Alrighty. So, I’m going to skip over this first slide and just kind of get in, cause we have a lot to cover today and I want as much time getting into the nitty gritty details. So, how many people and I. Think I have it up here still. How many people are a agency owner designer, freelance designer, freelance developer.

[00:02:06]And you can probably relate you wear multiple hats. I know I wear multiple hats. If I look at this list, I do a little bit of marketing. I do some development, I do client relations, I do sales, I do support. And then on top of all that you have to do product or sorry, project management. And it can feel a bit overwhelming.

[00:02:25]In fact, I talked to over the last couple of years, I’ve talked to about a hundred freelancers or agency owners, and really tried to just start saying, Hey, like, what’s going on in your business? What are you doing? How are you scaling? And the majority of people are saying, well, I just have to add body counts to my.

[00:02:42] My business, I’m adding a VA, I’m adding a project manager, I’m adding a writer, a designer, I’m adding somebody to just do a billing. And I want to just level set us here and say, we don’t have to go that direction immediately. There’s some steps that we can do. And in fact there is a better way to kind of free ourselves from wearing multiple hats all the time.

[00:03:07]And so I want us to take back control of our time, our days and ultimately our work. So today what we’re going to cover is we’re going to create an automated CRM system and we’re going to be using processes and tools that you likely already are using in your business. And so it should be pretty easy and it’s adaptable.

[00:03:30] Now the driver behind all of this is going to be Zapier. And if you don’t know what Zapier is, it’s a glue that connects thousands of web apps to each other. It, it takes out having to be a developer to connect two or three or four, sometimes five web apps together and make them all kind of just work together.

[00:03:52] So a way, the way that Zapier starts is with a trigger there’s something has to happen. And then some automation can take place to break that down to kind of level setting all of us. I like to think of it as shipping. Now we’re all at home and we’re all likely buying more and more online and getting it shipped to us.

[00:04:12] And so I think of it as Amazon, right. I’ll pull out my phone and I think, Oh, I need this new headset for a webinar. I’m going to do, I’ll just go to Amazon and I’ll get it. And some magic happens, right. I go to my phone, I pick the headphone out that I want. Thanks, Cory. And it gets shipped. So it gets in a box and it just gets magically delivered at my house.

[00:04:33] Two days later. That’s kind of what Zapier can do for you. You’re not having to add somebody going out to the store. You’re not having to add mileage expenses, gas reports credit card, you know, all of that extra work that you would have to do to go physically pick up that device. So that’s what Zapier is.

[00:04:51]In kind of my mind now we’re going to break it down into five automated tasks. And before we go forward, I want us all to stop and breathe. I want us to stop and remember that I’m going to share a lot of software tools with you. And we’re going to be talking all about them and I’m going to be going fast because to get through five of these in the next 15 minutes, I have about 10 minutes to spend on each kind of automation that we’re going to go through.

[00:05:16] And so, what I’ve done for this is I’ve got these slides and I’ve got some links to these specific automations that we can use you can share and you can use, and I’ll kinda show you how that looks at the end. But I want, I was just understand that we’re going to be going through stuff really fast.

[00:05:34] And if I miss over or I, you don’t understand something please ask a question. I am more than willing to help you make sure that you understand it. I just don’t want to go and get into the nitty gritty and spend the next 15 minutes only covering two things. Okay. So with that here is some apps that we’re going to be using today, apps or software and.co if you’ve never heard of an.co it’s one of my favorite tools.

[00:05:59] And you should probably invite me back here to talk all about it. It is like the freelancers best tool ever it’s by Fiverr. Actually I think it was acquired by Fiverr. But, and.co does proposals, invoicing, subscriptions, client management contracts that are. Don and developed by develop a freelance union.

[00:06:17] So there’s lawyers that are out there that are actually vetting this contract. So, if you’re just getting started or you want to look at something, check that out. When Jorah, which I told Cory about a while ago, but we’re going to be touching on it briefly. It’s this cool little thing where you can pull out your phone, record a video to your clients and just say, Hey, thanks.

[00:06:37] You know, thanks for being a client of mine. We’ll, I’ll show you how we utilize that a little bit later. Calendly. I think hopefully everybody is familiar with, it’s just a, the tool. I have a Google apps calendar in here, but I have actually pulled that one out in the last like 10 minutes. So we’re going to skip over that one for now gravity forms on our website, Facebook, Twitter hopefully you have some of those Zapier of course, and then WordPress.

[00:07:02] So, I think I’ve. I’ve got the, you know, what ones that people don’t know. If you, I have questions though please feel free to raise your hand and ask those. So the first automation that I want us to cover today is the easiest one. And I’ve named these pretty pretty fun and unique. And it’s called the social automation.

[00:07:24] Now how many people are like, okay, I’m going to create a blog post, and now I need to go over to Twitter and I needed to grab my link and I need to grab a clip of text or a description of what I want people to click on over on Twitter. And so I have to go and schedule that out, but I also have to go over to Facebook or I have to go to LinkedIn or I have to go to Instagram.

[00:07:45] Right. And that can become daunting. And the last thing that you want to do is spend a lot of time doing that, especially when you’re. By yourself. You’re a single solo entrepreneur and you’re running multiple projects. So this automation allows you to connect WordPress to Zapier. And then every time you have a new post, it will send out a tweet or a Facebook message or a LinkedIn message.

[00:08:13] And you can kind of customize that. And so I want to talk about this one, first of all, get ourselves familiar with how we use Zapier. So in here this is Zapier and I’ve got all of our automations right here. Set up the first one that we’re going to talk about is that social automation. So let me click on that and pop in here.

[00:08:37] So. I’m going to skip over these steps of like connecting all of the services to Zapier. There’s plenty of tutorials out there and how to do that. And they even walk you through it when you’re creating a new zap. So, I’ve already connected these just so that we can kind of see what this does, but essentially what we’re doing is, and the way that this kind of initiated is it’s going to look, Zapier is going to look at your WordPress site.

[00:09:02] Anytime you have a new post on that site this zap will run. So it’s going to it’s going to look for any new posts. Now you can control this a little bit. So if you have custom post types out there that maybe you want multiple zaps to go out, you could set this up to where instead of it’s, instead of it being a post type, it could be a custom post type.

[00:09:23] So there are options there that you have. But oneness goes out. It’s going to create a tweet. So I’ve hooked up a Twitter to it and I’ve set up an action. And I’m keeping this very simple for this for our purposes here, but you could get into really whatever you want. Right? You can control your message.

[00:09:41] So you can say, here is a new message or a new post. You could I’ll use Rebecca as an example you know, SEO goddess, a new post creation, right? Whatever you can do whatever you want in this section. And all you want to do is then just make sure that they have, like, what is the new post title that you’re pushing out and what is the link?

[00:10:02]Those are kind of the two fields that you need to have to make sure, and you can get these fields by that trigger happening. So once that’s done, you can also do things like you. If you have a featured. Post, you could also put that featured posts there. We know that in, in Twitter, especially when you post a tweet if you include an image, you’re going to get more clicks.

[00:10:24] So here’s a great way to do that. You can use that featured image that you spend a painstaking hours on building, or maybe you have a service that does it for you. It can just be used more and more. I’m going to pull up that chat here. Perfect. All right. So that’s Twitter, and again, you can do the same thing with Facebook.

[00:10:49] So you could. Add and stack multiple social media accounts to this meaning, anytime there’s a new post, it’s going to go out on Twitter. It’s going to go out on Facebook, you can hook up LinkedIn, you can hook up a YouTube, you know, whatever social media you want. You can kind of set that there.

[00:11:08] Now. I don’t want it to go out to Facebook. I just wanted to show you that you could stack it. So I’m going to delete that here. And I’m going to show you how this works just to show you that it is all there. So I’ve got our my test site. There’s a plugin for that.com. If you want to go check this site out this is my pretend developer marketing site for the day.

[00:11:30] And I’m going to go and create a new blog post.

[00:11:37] Just say hello from okay. I’ve written my awesome post here. And I’m going to go ahead and say, Hey, I’m ready to publish this thing. Let it get out into the world. We can see that here. It is in fact published this probably isn’t the greatest looking page, but that’s okay. We can go over to my Twitter profile and we can see maybe, Oh, well wouldn’t we know it it has decided to F to fail, so let’s make sure I’ve got it hooked up to my account. It wouldn’t be live without having a little glitch. So I guess we will make sure it’s mine. This is where I play elevator music, or

[00:12:44] right now I was waiting for it, but it’s

[00:12:47] Cory Miller: all tech people hate doing live stuff for this reason, something will invariably break, right Rebecca.

[00:12:53] Rebecca Gill: Oh, try to do eight hour software demos to the C-suite and everything breaks.

[00:12:59] AJ Morris: Ah, here we go. This is why it failed. Let’s see. So if you don’t use a featured image, you might want to pull that featured image out.

[00:13:09] And in this case I don’t have a featured image, so, it failed to go out. So we should be able to test and review. There we go. I can refresh. And here we go. Here’s my awesome new post that was posted. About 10 seconds ago. So you can see that’s working and if y’all want to retweet it and whatever, that’s awesome.

[00:13:32] I’m going to delete it here right now. So don’t feel like you have to go there. All right. So that is a great first tweet. And I want to pause and ask any questions. So as I go through this, I want to go through the other ones in similar fashion, but I want to know, like, do, what questions do you have around Zapier and using this interface before I go into that, I don’t know if physically

[00:13:55] Cory Miller: Kristen asks, can we use Zapier to send WordPress posts to groups in facebook

[00:14:01] AJ Morris: Groups? Let’s see. I know it does not look like groups is available. Oh no, it is. It is right there. So you can do groups. Yeah,

[00:14:21] you just fill out post a new message and sign into your groups account and then fill it out from there. Awesome. Thank you. Yeah.

[00:14:30]Any others related to kind of how this goes in a, is there an if then function there’s a filter? So, so you could say only proceed. Let me actually go back up to the, so you could put a filter in here like that post image. So you could do a look for featured media was set to zero. So, No, you could do like an is truer is blank.

[00:14:56]So if it is true or is false you know, if it does not exist continue. So you could kind of try to put in some error handling for blog posts that maybe you don’t have a featured image that you don’t want going out to social media. Or you could do other things in there. Based on that filters set up.

[00:15:16] Good question. So, let me turn this back on and I want to go over to this share page a second, because I think it’s a pretty good page. So I will share the, these links are actually in the slides and I’ll send those over to Cory at the end of this but this One one zap will save you one and a half hours a week, or sorry, 1.2 hours a week.

[00:15:39] Now this one is very simple. You know, it’s just Facebook or sorry, WordPress to Twitter or Facebook or whatever. But if you do, like if you’re posting every day and maybe you’re posting on multiple sites this is a great way to get some of that time back to at least that initial surge of traffic from social you can get with your blog posts.

[00:16:00]And this time would obviously go up if you are blogging or doing more. All right. So the next one I want to cover, and I don’t know why that went all the way back forward is called the lead funnel. So this is where we’re going to actually get into our CRM. So, how out of I don’t know how many people use gravity forms or some sort of form builder on your website to take in new clients potential clients you know, things like that, right?

[00:16:31]Love gravity forms. Great. So I think everybody is contact form seven. Yup. Ninja forms is another one. So, so we’re going to be using a form. And when we create a new form entry, I have it go into Trello. Trello is my my CRM. I’ve created a simple demo, a Trello board for us to look at as that goes.

[00:16:51] And so let’s look at this. This is actually not this doesn’t have to be in a Zapier. I did it in Zapier because I think it was a little bit easier to connect, but you could, with gravity forms, you could connect straight to Trello. I don’t know if contact form sevens or a contact form seven or others have that capability, but most of them have a connection to Zapier.

[00:17:13] So let’s look at that. I’m going to go into the dashboard here of my WordPress site, go to my form. And I’m just going to show you, I’ve got a contact form that I’m using. The gravity forms, 2.5 release candidate here. So this may look a little bit different if you haven’t seen this, definitely go download it, play with it.

[00:17:36] It’s pretty, pretty slick. I won’t get into all the goodness of their new features, but. What we want to do is we want to look at Zapier and I’ve hooked this up to go into Zapier. Okay. So now in Zapier let me go back out of the social automation and go into our lead funnel. So our lead funnel is going to take a trigger of a form submission and gravity forms.

[00:18:09] And if you are out on the. A website right now, go ahead and click over to contact. And there should be a nice little form down at the bottom. Send us a message. Go ahead and fill that out if you want. And I’ll show you kind of where that goes in a second. So as that form gets entered in a form, submission is available.

[00:18:29] Gravity forms is going to send it over to Zapier and it’s going to then create a card in Trello now. There’s a lot of things that you can do to set up the action in Trello. And so, what we’ve done is I’ve moved it into my board. I’ve created a list called new leads. I’ll show you all this in Trello in a second.

[00:18:50]I’ve created a card called new project and I’ve left it intentionally blank. Different processes. You might have like a project name in your form. And so you could put that in here or you could leave it blank because you know, you don’t know what the project is that’s coming in.

[00:19:05] I then in the description of the card, just put in the important fields. So first name, email and message. You could definitely pull in like a phone and company that I haven’t done. So let me go ahead and say we want to add some more, so I’ll show you how that works. You come in here, you can say phone, and now I’ve got the phone in here.

[00:19:24] And company was the other one. So we’ll add that so you can see it. It’s super easy. Like once, once you’ve connected gravity forms to a Zapier, you can just, you get access to all of these extra little data points that each web app has. So I’ve gone ahead and did that and I’ve labeled it green.

[00:19:45]That’s just the way that I do things as I label things green because it’s typically a project that needs to get created. And I put it to the bottom of that list. And then I assigned myself to it so that I get a little notification in Trello. So once Oh, and then, sorry, I do have a couple of custom fields I used to show you that you can use custom fields for a Trello, so you can assign if you have custom fields in Trello, you can assign those values from gravity forms.

[00:20:15] So here’s first name? I didn’t pull out first name, last name. So I don’t have the last name in here and then the email address. So once that’s in here I’m going to go ahead and just retest the action and assume the, some of the changes I made to that description are there and I’ll turn that zap on and then let’s go ahead and look at the inside of, so this board is very simplified and it’s simplified in a sense that I’m only using Trello.

[00:20:44] Or rather this board for the webinar today I typically have more labels. I have other swim lanes or lists inside of Trello. But I think that this kind of helps us with our content management or sorry, project management process. So our new field our new project just came in right here.

[00:21:03] You can see it set the green label. It assigned me as a member. It set the new project. It put in the first name and the email right here. I really liked this because I could go in and an email, the person if I needed to. And you can see all the data points that, that came in from Zapier. So. I use this lead funnel.

[00:21:23] As you know, when somebody contacts me on a form off of my website, I want them to be able to jump right into my CRM, to be able to see and start interacting with it. And this is that first kind of touch point that I have. That’s automated. I’m not having to take the gravity form email notification that I get every time you know, someone fills out the form and add them into my CRM.

[00:21:47] I’m kind of adding them right there. The great thing is that if you don’t use Trello as a CRM, maybe you use something else. You can put something else in this place. You don’t have to use Trello for that. All right. So that’s lead funnel. That’s how I bring people in and get them started in my CRM.

[00:22:04]The next one that I do, and I’m keeping this very much into our automation spaces, not getting into the entire lead process. But at some point in time an email goes out to a potential customer or client, and I say, Hey let’s book a consultation. And so in that sense I need to do a couple of things in my systems.

[00:22:27] I need to one, I want to send them a Calendly link to be able to book that consultation so that they can see exactly what they’re looking for. Pick a time that works for them based and it’s always updating based on my calendars. I want to send them a zoom link. So, it may be as much as You know, sending them that link automated once they’ve confirmed.

[00:22:51] And then I also want to put them into andy.co because and.co is where I’m going to create their proposal. So if Cory comes to me let’s say he books a consultation. I want to have some data in an.co so that I can start typing things out and kind of move that proposal along after I’ve had that consultation.

[00:23:12] So let’s talk let’s talk about this process a little bit. And the first piece that I do in here is I am actually looking at Calendly. So I see that something was created in this case they call it invitee meaning that somebody has booked a a calendar invite. So you can see I’ve got different options in here that I can select.

[00:23:39]And once I go through that, it goes in and creates a client in an.co. Now you’re probably wondering, well, what about that zoom that zoom option. How do you send them a zoom? And for that, what I do is inside of my Calendly I have some various workflows that I have set up. And so in in here we can create a simple, Hey, let’s.

[00:24:06] Email reminder to the invitee 24 hours before it starts. Or I typically do like an hour before it starts send an email. And then in my email here, I just say you know, please please use

[00:24:22]Alexa say, please visit the link, zoom aij.com. And they use this link then to get into zoom. So I’m not having to go in and create like a special meeting account like, invite room only in zoom. I just use my personal zoom room for that. And that, that keeps things simpler on my side. I just know to launch my personal room and go from there.

[00:24:47] So that’s how I handle the zoom side of this consultation. And then they get this email when it comes out now Calendly, I didn’t go in and like have this specified or saved mainly because, you know, some people don’t use Calendly. I actually use savvy Cal but Calendly does have a free option like a free plan.

[00:25:05] And so if you don’t have some sort of service that, that does this go look at the free plan for Calendly and start setting some of this up. It’s going to make your life easier than having to go back and forth on times to meet potential clients. So, the last thing that it does though is, and let me go in,

[00:25:32] let me go book an appointment a second.

[00:25:39] There we go. So, this is kind of what they see when they get this link and assuming the internet wants to work with us today. We’ll go ahead and pick time

[00:25:56] So I’ve scheduled an event and it’s going to redirect and we don’t need to worry about that. The thing I want to check is Calendly. So in here, this is my live active and.co account. And you can go into your clients. And you can see here that I just created a new client. If you go to address and contacts, you can see that it is you know, my email address and I’ve got all the information kind of rough information started in the end.co to be able to start saying, okay, once I’ve had that call I can come back in here and start that project work.

[00:26:39]From in here I will typically go in and start a proposal or a project. And that’s a whole nother world into its own. So that’s the consultation this consultation let me. Copy that link this on the short end saves as well, 1.2 hours. And I started actually wondering like, how many hours, or how do they figure this out too, to save time?

[00:27:04]What I do believe is happening in this timeframe is it’s looking at how many connections are happening. But if you think about it when somebody books an appointment time on your calendar you know, you’re going to have to either take notes or jot something down either after the meeting or shortly before the meeting.

[00:27:23] And so. I just try to automate some of those little things so that I’m not having to go in and say, Hey, I need to create this person in my proposal software. Because you know, inevitably once this consultation happens, I’m going to give them a proposal back. So I kinda just start that process off right away.

[00:27:45] All right. So that’s the consultation. And again I will share this link. This link is in the slides. So you can get that and be able to use this exact zap the next one. The third one is actually the a simple CRM is what I called it. And it’s just really helping us stay organized.

[00:28:04]This one is so I’ve had some I have actually have many of these kind of zaps where something happens in Trello and other things happen. But I wanted to keep it limited to our time today. So, the simple CRM I look at is if we go through our process a little bit and say, we’ve had we’ve had that consultation now I need to create a proposal.

[00:28:30]The trigger for this zap is some activity in Trello. And what happens is I push push a card over to a list called full client. Now, what that means is you know, let’s say this person had booked their consultation and it was you know, Let’s say it was a gaming membership site is what they wanted.

[00:28:52]I would probably add some more info in here into my description, maybe some of my notes and things like that in here. And when I’m like, okay, I’m ready to go and create this proposal. I’m done with the consultation. All I have to do is move this from this consultation booked to what I’m calling full client.

[00:29:11]Full client could be a term, you know, you could update that however you want. For my demo though, I just call it full client and what’s going to happen is this zap is going to run and it’s going to go in and it’s going to create a. Up, it’s going to create a task to say, create proposal for this email this project and then give it some description data.

[00:29:35] So in an.co, if we go back to my desk we should see here is a proposal, a task. So I know I need to create a proposal. I can set lists. I can go in and start to do a new project gaming membership site. My client will use the one I just filled out and we’ll say save. So now I’ve started to assign that to a project and a client.

[00:30:03] And now I can just go in and create a proposal. So here is a new proposal. It should start to. Populate,

[00:30:18] and I can start to fill out what do I want to do based off of our conversation? Are there services, billing schedules I need to send and I can start that process. This helps me save just a ton of time because I already have all the information that I’ve got from my notes over here into an.co.

[00:30:35] So I’m not having to like, you know, look at look at a handwritten you know, notebook and transcribe my notes. I’ve got everything right here from Trello and over into and.co so that I can start to work on that proposal. So that that helps me a ton. It saves me a ton of time. If we look at that one this one it really is.

[00:30:59] I live like half of my day in an.co. And so I want like my tasks and everything right there, so I can see exactly what I need to do as things are happening. All right. So now we’ve had our client and we’ve had them you know, we’ve done the project and now the last. The last one is thanking clients, right?

[00:31:24] It’s always good to you know, say thank you let your clients know that, Hey, you appreciated working with them. You appreciated them paying on time. Because you know, not all clients always pay on time. And so, I have this thinking clients and I make sure that, you know, when I get paid I pull up my phone and give a quick little, thank you.

[00:31:43] So, what does that look like? That is a little bit more complicated for the free tier of Zapier. And I saw some of the pre-questions come in and say that, you know, Zapier’s cost could be prohibited to some people. So this is the only one that you might want to change. Again, I live in and.co for a good chunk of my morning, just to like, make sure that all my tasks are worked on or you know, invoices are set up or proposals.

[00:32:10] And so I want that extra task in there. But you don’t have to, you could send something right over to and I’ll show you what that looks like in a second. So the way that this comes in is, again, it’s looking at it’s looking at Trello and it’s saying any time a card is moved.

[00:32:30] To a invoice lane or invoice list, it’s going to run all of these things. So it’s going to go over and it’s going to create a task in an.co that’s actually telling me that I need to actually invoice the client as opposed to automated that there, the one thing I don’t like about ann.co is it doesn’t let me invoice the client once there’s a signed proposal.

[00:32:53]I think it’s a QuickBooks or purr, purr pose, a five proposal high, something like that. There’s Zapier integration does allow you to do a little bit more on the invoicing side. So it gives me a task over in end.co. We can go and look at that because it should have Ran right now.

[00:33:12] So create an invoice for that person. So here’s just that little reminder I’d need to actually finish the proposal and all of that in here to invoice them. But it’s also going to create a task in Bundoora. Now, when Jaro, which I realized I didn’t have this is what we geeked out, Rebecca.

[00:33:33] And until way into the night, I love this part. This is so interesting when it the bond Jerome part, when you talk about this is something you can hand off to clients too, by the way, and tell them to do this because it’s a way to personalize what you’re doing in a really cool way. I reactivated onboarding.

[00:33:53] So give me a second to get rid of it since it’s forcing me to do it on here.

[00:34:06] all right. So we should see hasn’t come in yet. I might actually have to force this one to run. All right. So I skipped this test the other day, so let’s okay. So it’s missing an email address. So anytime I saw that question JD about if there’s an air we’ll move on to Pajaro or will that failed to typically it should continue on so I’m just going to load another one here to get that last one that pulled in and continue.

[00:34:44] I’m going to skip skip this one and then just run our last one again. So,

[00:34:55] okay.

[00:35:02] So anytime things fail, you just kind of come in here. Does it actually have an email address? It does. We may put,

[00:35:20] let me put a fake email in but a real email to make it work.

[00:35:39] All right. So for some reason it’s still coming up with,

[00:35:46] no, I may add another one here just to make sure if not, I’ll have to go back and fix this one before I give it to you.

[00:36:06] all right. So something’s going on in side of my trigger. So what all I’ll do is I’ll cheat this out a second and S and instead of give it a variable from earlier, I can give it a variable right now just to test it, but to show that it goes in there the way I want it to. You wouldn’t want to do this and leave it though, because if you did, now that this, now this task was sent if I turn this on every time this happened, it would go to my email address versus the client.

[00:36:36] So when you’re trying to test some things out, sometimes it’s easier to do that. And I just put in my own email address. So if I come back over here to , you can see right here, I’ve got this AIG plus DMK now. I’m not putting any extra information in here. You could totally geek out and put like what did they purchase?

[00:36:57] How much did they spend all of that data in here, if you had some custom fields and you made the mappings? Correct, but I try to keep it simple. I’m not doing like hundreds of clients all the time where like, I forget what projects I’m working on. So, you know, if AIG comes in here I know it was the gaming membership site, so I know what I can do or what I would talk about.

[00:37:19] So in here, what I would do is come in here, you can see myself down here, you can click record, or you can do it on your phone. You don’t have to do it. In inside a Chrome. What I’ve actually found is when you do it down here, and this is getting a little too meta for me to watch myself.

[00:37:37] Speak on that multiple places. What you can do is like record right here. It’s just gonna, you might notice and definitely try it if you’re gonna use it. You might notice the audio and your lips don’t match in Chrome. I don’t know if they fix the issue. But the last time I did it it didn’t work.

[00:37:53] So, you can do a record now, or you can get on your phone and show it that way. Now what I do in this is just kind of thank them, right. Just a real quick. Hey Paige, Hey, thanks so much for your you pain. I saw that came through today. Just wanted to say, congratulations on your gaming membership site launch really excited to have that out there.

[00:38:15]Let me know how I can be of help. And maybe you mentioned a few other, you know, nice points of working with them. I first saw the, saw this kind of thing happened to me when I ordered coffee from a coffee shop out in Guthrie, Oklahoma when I was out there. And ever since I’ve used it in as many places as I can there, there’s tons of other apps besides  out there that you can do this with.

[00:38:40]But it is one that I’ve found success in and it seems to be pretty easy. He can do some customization of emails and stuff in here as well. And so, it’s just a nice thing to get a little video email to be on that receiving side. So thank your clients. This is a great way to do it

[00:38:56] Cory Miller: by the way if you have a membership site, a course site, in fact, something we need, I need to put on my agenda now for DMK is a new member joins. They get a, Hey welcome from Cory or Rebecca video back. And AJ I set the one up we did in Michigan and I have to just go back and now do it, but what a personalized way to do that, we’re trying to figure out just as a sidebar real quick to this cause they just put this on my plate is a, it’d be a great way to ask a question and try to get some response, some interaction, because the goal of any of our marketing is we want to get engagement that ultimately leads to a sell.

[00:39:33] So that’s one of my things about there’s also a video. Yes. Video asked icon by the people at top forum.

[00:39:42] AJ Morris: Yeah. All right. So that love that at refresh and it goes back. So let me scroll down. So that at a minimum, all of those combined those little automations will save us six hours a week. Now I know out of conversations I’ve had with freelancers and even small agencies they would hire you know, if they could get six, six hours back in their week, that means they can get more clients going through the process.

[00:40:06] They can do more development, they could do more marketing, they could do more advertising, right. They could do, they could just do more. And a lot of people end up hiring even for six hours a week. You’d be surprised how many people hire. So, at the low end, this is going to save you six hours a week.

[00:40:22] That’s 36 hours a month. I know people that have VAs at 36 hours a month, so, Some simple automations, like this could help save some time. So just to recap, here’s the The five that we did, and these are all linked up. And when you get the slides, you can click on these and go off to the zaps the social automation, giving you automation around posting your blog content over to social media your lead funnel.

[00:40:48] So tracking and being a way to capture your form data from your site over to a Trello and into your CRM. The consultation, being able to book that client, get them the information they need to have that consultation, and then also help kind of setting you up being able to create a proposal. Basic CRM.

[00:41:06] Now you could go into this all, every which way I kept it, very simple for us just moving cards from one lane or one list to another. You could do that for every list that you move a card through, as you’re moving them through, you could do things like that. And then finally when you get a client that pays you know, just thanking them, giving them that nice little reaction to getting paid and thanking them for choosing you to help them with their projects.

[00:41:33] So, what’s next? We’ve got about 10 minutes. We got plenty of time for questions, but if you need help if you need, you know, help setting these up, or maybe you have some ideas around, you know, Hey, I think I could automate this thing, but I need some help thinking that through you can use this link to book a free consultation.

[00:41:52] It’s actually just calendly.com/AJMorris. And you can go over there and you can book some time with me. That’s a free thing I’m offering anybody over here to do so, glad to help you out with that. So with that, thank you. You can find me over ajmorris.me or at AJMorris on Twitter and Cory Rebecca, whoever has questions, feel free to send them to me.

[00:42:18] Cory Miller: Okay. Where’s the link to your just hit your contact form to book you I put your website address in ajmorris.me.

[00:42:26] AJ Morris: Stuff means contact project that,

[00:42:30] Cory Miller: and he’ll magically automate all the things. All right. If you have questions for AJ please let us know in the Q&A button I’m trying to look at here.

[00:42:41] And Theresa says, trying to figure out if I can use Zapier to send new posts to Mt. Champ contact list

[00:42:50] AJ Morris: posts. Are you talking about new, like WordPress posts?

[00:42:53] Cory Miller: Yeah, that would be the,

[00:42:55] Rebecca Gill: You can do would be the, without even a Zapier MailChimp has an option so that you can set up an RSSP for, in your newsletter.

[00:43:03] And that will just take it right over. Yeah. You don’t need a Zap for that. You just do MailChimp. You just need the monkey high five.

[00:43:10]Cory Miller: My website is actually that same way. Like when I do a post, cause I three times a year on my personal website, it sends it out to my audience. So, yep. Definitely Zapier, somebody tell me  Zapier can kind of add up it’s all the things, which is incredible, but it can kind of add up. So I’ve been trying to stand into the free tier as best I can, but have you seen it get potentially pretty expensive?

[00:43:36] AJ Morris: Yeah. So, Zapier has changed our pricing model a lot. And I think if you get grandfathered into one of their older plans, you got more than like you could do two or three steps like this.

[00:43:46] If you go sign up for a Zapier account right now, you kit one trigger in one action. Only you don’t get to like Daisy chain. I’m like this. So your five goes up really quick. On top of that, they limit each zap. I think you can only run a hundred, like you could run a hundred tasks through the process a hundred times and that’s it on the free tier.

[00:44:06] So yeah, it does do that. And that’s where I, you know, looking at like the MailChimp option setting up an RSS feed in a MailChimp and having that just automatically send out you can set up that automation without using Zapier similarly You know, if Ninja forms or gravity forms are the form plugin you’re using, you could have that go right into Trello instead of over through Zapier.

[00:44:29] And again, you’d then be able to, you’re automating that process, but you’re not using Zapier to necessarily automate it.

[00:44:40] Cory Miller: all right. We’ve got a couple more minutes. Thanks AGA again, you’re going to be back next month. While people are queuing up their questions for you. And last couple of minutes, what are you going to be talking about next month here at DMK.

[00:44:49]AJ Morris: Next month, we’re going to be talking about a website performance optimization.

[00:44:54]And we’re going to do probably a half hour of like people give me your sites and we’ll actually run them through web dev some other performance tools and make you know, kind of give you a list of recommendations of where to start. Picking and choosing what tasks you want to do to help optimize your site and make it faster.

[00:45:14] Will this be specific to Googles and I’m blanking core web vitals? Of course. Got to make sure that you’re loading fast for Google, so they don’t ping you.

[00:45:32] Cory Miller: Okay. Couple of minutes left. You have a question for AJ or, I mean, Rebecca is here. She’s surprised this somehow got in as a panelist, how’d you do that? I think she went around our backstage and went to zoom account, but you know who hasn’t.

[00:45:54] Rebecca Gill: My children, you can hack other people’s accounts. Yes. Yes, I do. I’ve even placed orders and other people’s accounts and shipped it to me.

[00:46:04] Cory Miller: Wow. And, you know, you know, AJ and I like to, whenever a person’s phone is unlocked at a conference and laid down We haven’t gotten so far as like, make an order. Have we AJ but

[00:46:14] AJ Morris: no, that’s a good one.

[00:46:16] Rebecca Gill: Since we have four minutes left, let me just say that. When we used to be able to go to conferences in person, I always have my phone with me because it’s connected to my diabetes equipment.

[00:46:26] Well, I will leave it on the table with friends. When I go to the like, use the restroom. And every time I come back with new pictures on my phone of these jokers and other people like Carrie Dills and I mean, It’s been like Morton and Andrew from WordPress. Everybody does it cause these two start it and then they’ve used it as my backdrop on my phone.

[00:46:50] And once or twice they’ve locked me out of my phone because they’ve also changed the security code of the same process. Cause I don’t put a security code on, so yes. And I just randomly stored in my phone years later, I’m scrolling for something I’m like, Oh my gosh. And I just start cracking up. Cause I read it over and see this really weird picture.

[00:47:10]Cory Miller: I only take pictures. I wouldn’t dare change. Somebody’s language foreign language like Chinese. I would never do that because that’s incredibly hard. I’ve done it to myself.

[00:47:22] Rebecca Gill: This calls for a revenge of the alpaca pictures. Oh my gosh. And you should see some of the pictures that they put on my phone. I mean, thankfully, like it’s been nobody’s behind or anything, but they’re not like, cause it’s always happens like at 11, 12 o’clock at night when my guard is down and I’m tired and you know, they put the goofy pictures on

[00:47:42] Cory Miller: and honestly I’m just shocked she hasn’t tweeted those AJ

[00:47:45]AJ Morris: I know.

[00:47:46]Rebecca Gill: I did for your birthday one year, I said happy miller. And I put one of those.

[00:47:50]It might come out next week. I need to go through and dig them up. But my problem with my phone now is I have thousands and thousands of pictures of alpacas on there.

[00:47:57] So like taking them for people and fires and things like that. So I would go find them,

[00:48:03] but the joint to have a geographical reference. So I can just like go to the map and find places and go that way. Yeah.

[00:48:11] Cory Miller: Dang you, Apple. This is totally switched into, we should always reserve the last 10 minutes for happy hour. Like switch it from office hours to happy hour. Yeah.

[00:48:24] Rebecca Gill: But I will tell you though, especially like when you don’t get to travel for awhile, nothing makes me happier than randomly finding those things or having like Facebook show up, you know, your memories and just funny things from seven years ago.

[00:48:37] And it’s like, Oh, I still miss seeing real people in real life.

[00:48:42] Cory Miller: I still need to stitch together the videos when I think you shared with everybody last week or so. Yeah I did a

[00:48:48] Rebecca Gill: little, your picture from Facebook and stuff, so I could show pictures of us and they all told me that I did need to go find you a new mitten. So you had a matching pair and I may have, well,

[00:49:04] Cory Miller: it’s definitely devolved into coming for your birthday. Oh, thank God. Because my other hands warm or cold

[00:49:12] Rebecca Gill: actually use it for their true purpose, which is oven. We actually had a question. So you tried inter girl, matt.com or is Zapier much better for, or other similar tools, huh?

[00:49:28]AJ Morris: I have not seen this one. I mean, these tools come up all the time. The biggest issue I’ve seen with some of these is that they don’t have native integration with a lot of the apps already. And so, or they’re limited, right? Like they may have integration, but it’s limited in what it can do. Whereas Zapier has been around for so long that you can do, you can just do a lot and they continually update like, like Trello.

[00:49:50] I remember when I first got started using it with Trello it would only create new cards. It wouldn’t like monitor your Trello board. And as you drag a card from a list to a list, would it go and do something in a Zapier? And so, that’s the kind of the problem I have with it is like moving to something else that maybe is more price conscious, becomes hard because it wrecks some of the automations that, that I do have that said I’ll go back to the previous statement of the MailChimp.

[00:50:22] If you can find a way to automate it without automating something in Zapier, do that first and only do only use Zapier in the event that you need something a little bit more complex.

[00:50:34] Rebecca Gill: I would be afraid with like other apps that you’d be the Guinea pig. You know what I mean? For like new connection points. Yeah. So I feel like, you know, I feel like there’s times where you are the Guinea pig, whether you realize it or not. I mean, I have a recent software experience where I’m totally the Guinea pig and I’m very frustrated with it, so I’m moving away from it. But yeah, cause like, you know, you think it looks great and you’re like, Oh, this looks so good.

[00:50:56] And then you realize, well, they really haven’t done much with it and you are totally a Guinea pig and then your brittle bugs hate that.

[00:51:02] AJ Morris: Yeah. Yeah.

[00:51:03] Rebecca Gill: And your automation becomes nothing but a headache that takes a lot of time. Yes that’s what I’m ranting

[00:51:10] AJ Morris: That’s the downfall.

[00:51:13] Cory Miller: Hey AJ thanks so much for being here today.

[00:51:16] AJ Morris: Thank you guys.

[00:51:17] Cory Miller: We’re at quitting time, but thanks for being here. We’ll look forward to seeing you next month and thanks for Rebecca for crashing our party. See you all. Thank you for being here.

[00:51:28] AJ Morris: Thank you.

Details

Date:
April 14, 2021
Time:
3:00 pm - 4:00 pm CDT
Event Category:

Venue

Zoom webinar